wedding lighting workshop
FOR THE COST OF A SPEEDLIGHT, LEARN HOW TO USE IT!
A one day workshop and live demo (six hours of instruction) in Chicago with Travis and Justin, designed to build your skills for handling challenging lighting scenarios. Using off-camera flash equipment, we’ll teach you how to create bold, vibrant images in the toughest situations.
To be clear, this isn’t a chance to make portfolio pictures in a controlled setting or a styled shoot with candles and mason jars. Rather than a magic list of secret camera settings, we’ll talk about our creative, problem-solving strategy and how we apply it on a wedding day. In short, we’re sharing our systematic approach to lighting and how we use it effectively in a storytelling way.
To sign up, fill out the form below and click the “SUBMIT APPLICATION” Button. We’ll follow up with an invoice that you can pay online easily.
Postponed because of COVID-19. Sign up below to be notified of new date. Tuesday, May 5, 2020 (9am-4pm with optional happy hour Q&A afterward)
A photo studio in Chicago’s Noble Square neighborhood (1431 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60642)
Travis & Justin and a limited amount of other students. A basic understanding of your camera and exposure are expected.
What to bring:
Something to take notes with and a willingness to learn. Cameras are optional.
coffee and breakfast snacks, private facebook alumni group for post workshop Q&A, digital version of keynote slides
$200 early bird sign up before April 1st, $250 after. Payment in full required to reserve your spot.
If you’ve ever…
- struggled trying to bounce flash off a 30-foot black ceiling
- cringed when you found out you’d have to shoot portraits outside at noon
- dreaded pulling out your flash or felt like it was clunky and cumbersome
- spent money on gear, but still couldn’t find the right settings and had inconsistent results
- been too stressed out dial in your flash settings and paid the price in hours of extra editing
- looked at others work and felt like a fraud for charging what feels like sub-par work
this workshop is for you!
We began working together in 2009 and have been collaborating on weddings for the past 8 years. While shooting nearly 200 weddings during that time, we’ve developed a systematic approach for handling every part of a wedding day. From morning prep to reception, we’ve improved our work with off-camera lighting techniques and we can’t wait to share it all with you!
He spent the first six years of his career as a staff photojournalist for newspapers in the Chicago area. He loves sharing his knowledge and training other photographers in technical photography and digital workflow.
topics we’ll cover
- How to add off camera-flash during every part of a wedding day
- Our approach and lighting fundamentals
- A complete rundown of the most essential gear we bring to every wedding
- How we overcome common wedding day lighting obstacles
- Slideshow with breakdown and behind-the-scenes examples
- An explanation of the different modifiers we use and why/when we use them
- A LIVE DEMO of exactly how we setup our lights for every wedding reception